Fit for Life

Image by 5132824 from Pixabay.

Many times the people I meet with for coaching prior to their first Personal Training session assume that I was born the way I look today. Well, really, I was 7 1/2 pounds and 21 inches long at birth! Fairly average in size. I went through a pudgy childhood phase. Fairly normal sized during my college years. 

Then it happened. I had two children and never really took off the pregnancy weight. About a dozen years ago I finally did take off the extra weight. Slowly but surely, I let it creep back on.

Three years ago I took the weight off again. But I took it nice and slow this time; a whole year. I have kept it off for and even changed careers as a result. 

What's different about this time? Well, anytime I have lost weight in the past, I have been on a diet and exercise plan. Not too bad. But what happens when you finish with the diet and exercise plan? For me it was fall back into my old bad habits and gain the weight back.

This time I set out to change my whole lifestyle.

Exercise is a part of my daily life. It includes cardiovascular fitness, strength training, and flexibility training. Not all three every day, but throughout the week. Finding activities I enjoy really helped cement the positive habits. By engaging in these regular activities I am fit for the other activities of daily life: gardening, cutting the grass, house cleaning, cooking, walking, hiking, geocaching, etc.

The other component of being fit for life involves a sensible eating lifestyle. All of the macronutrients are good for you! Eliminating or severely restricting one group may help you lose weight, but is NOT usually a lifestyle for a family, or one that you can maintain your whole life. Appropriate percentages of carbohydrates (fiber loaded and refined sugar limited), fats (mostly monounsaturated), and lean proteins are a part of my everyday food consumption.

Being fit for life feels good. I feel strong, and able to tackle whatever comes my way. You want to be fit for life? Then be the best you that you can be through a lifestyle of exercise and sensible eating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giant Bags of Mostly Water

We Manifest the Glory of God